top bottom

File a Complaint Against a Debt Collector

» Print This Page

Many consumers have asked us how they can file a complaint with the government when they have been harassed by a debt collector.  This harassment can be verbal or written, and can result from abusive conduct or from receiving deceptive notices; it also includes debt collectors failing to comply with the requires of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) or the Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act (FCCPA).

The good news is that it’s pretty easy to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.  All you need to do is go to the FTC website by clicking here.  Once you’re at the FTC website, click on the Complaint Assistant icon that is located toward the upper right hand side, just below the tabs, and follow the step-by-step instructions.

Of course, if the debt collector is violating the law, in most cases it’s a good idea to hire an experienced lawyer familiar with debt collection law to make sure the harassment or abuse stops.  If you would like a free consultation with a consumer lawyer practicing in Seminole County, Orange County, Volusia County, Lake County or Brevard County, please feel free to contact me through this website / blog, or call us at 386-444-3032.  You do not need to put up with debt collectors’ illegal conduct!